Skip to content

For Inbound Exchange Students

You are here: > For Inbound Exchange Students

What are the eligibility requirements for inbound exchange students?

In order to be eligible to be considered for exchange study at Loyola, you must:
  • be a degree-seeking student at one of our existing exchange university partners;
  • have completed at least one year of study at your home university;
  • have a cumulative home grade point average equivalent to Loyola 3.0 or higher; AND
  • have earned an official TOEFL score of at least 79, an official IELTS score of at least 6.5, or an official Pearson Test of English Academic score of at least 53.  English language proficiency exam scores must be less than 2 years old.  

Please note that for the 2021-2022 academic year (Fall 2021 and Spring 2022) Loyola is not accepting exchange students from Institut d'Etudes Politiques, Institut Químic de Sarrià, Mary Immaculate College, Universidad Iberoamericana, Universidad de Deusto, nor Jonkoping International Business School

How do I apply?

First, apply to your home university exchange/student mobility office and have that office send your nomination to before the deadline listed below.  Second, check your email for a message from Loyola confirming acceptance of your nomination and containing instructions on how to complete the Loyola international exchange student application.  Third, complete the Loyola international exchange student application.  Note that the Loyola international exchange student application will require you to submit your passport identification page, unofficial transcript, proof of English language proficiency, Declaration of Finances Form, and proof of finances (such as a bank checking or savings account statement).  

When are exchange nominations due?

International exchange students wishing to study at Loyola must have their home university exchange/student mobility office send a nomination to by these deadlines: 

For international exchange students wishing to study at Loyola for:      

...your home university must submit nominations to

Calendar Year 2021 (Spring 2021 + Fall 2021) Exchange study is not permitted for the calendar year.
Spring 2021  between 1 October 2020 and 1 November 2020.
Academic Year 2021-2022 (Fall 2021 + Spring 2022)  between 1 March 2021 and 1 April 2021.
Fall 2021 between 1 March 2021 and 1 April 2021.
Calendar Year 2022 (Spring 2022 + Fall 2022) Exchange study is not permitted for the calendar year.
Spring 2022  between 1 October 2021 and 1 November 2021.
Academic Year 2022-2023 (Fall 2022 + Spring 2023)  between 1 March 2022 and 1 April 2022.
Fall 2022 between March 1 and April 1, 2022.
Calendar Year 2023 (Spring 2023 + Fall 2023) Exchange study is not permitted for the calendar year.
Spring 2023 between 1 October 2022 and 1 November 2022.

Where is the academic calendar posted?

Visit the Calendars and Schedules website for semester start, end, and break dates as well as final exam dates.  

What course credit system does Loyola use?

Loyola uses the U.S. semester credit hour system.  Generally, 3 U.S. semester credit hours equals 6 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) credits.

How many classes do students take per semester?

Each course is usually worth 3 credits and exchange students will take 12 to 18 credits per semester.  Therefore, exchange students will take 4, 5, or 6 courses per semester.  

What courses are offered?

To find what classes are being offered in a particular semester and at what times, go to the Loyola Online Connection to University Services website and click on the link to search for classes without logging in.  On the next page, click on the "Class Search" link.  

How does course registration work?

We'll email you an Inbound Exchange Student Course Selection Form.  You'll complete that form, then email it back to Loyola.  For fall semester, that form is due April 15.  For spring semester, that form is due November 1.  After we receive your form, we'll register you in your selected courses.

What housing is available?

Visit the Residence Life website for housing options.

What meal plans are available?

Visit the Campus Card meal plans website for information.  

What are the move-in and orientation dates?

Once the university finalizes those dates, you'll receive an email from International Students and Scholar Services.

How do I obtain medical insurance?

All international students are required to have health insurance. Visit the Bursar Health Insurance website for information.  

Who should international exchange students contact for more information?

Feel free to email Dr. Brian Johnson and visit the International Students and Scholars Services website.