Skip to content


All Loyola students abroad at any location, and visiting students the Loyola John Felice Rome Center (JFRC), must be covered by official institutional study abroad insurance for the duration of their study abroad program, per the Loyola travel policy.  This page provides information about Loyola's study abroad insurance, which is provided by Cultural Insurance and Services International (CISI).

What does study abroad insurance cover?

The insurance covers possible situations applicable to study abroad that are rarely covered by standard U.S.-based health insurance, such as emergency medical, environmental disaster, or civil disturbance evacuation.  Familiarize yourself with the 2023-2024 Loyola CISI brochure(s) for details on the insurance plan.‚Äč

How do I enroll in study abroad insurance?

Complete your Loyola Study Abroad application, get accepted, confirm your acceptance, then prior to departure, the Office of International Programs will get you enrolled in the policy automatically.

How do I get my study abroad insurance card?

You'll receive your study abroad insurance card and policy details in your email at least one week prior to the start of your program.  Be on the lookout for a message from the email domain If you require evidence of CISI insurance coverage prior to one week before your program for visa purposes, please email

How does the insurance work for COVID-19?

Please read the CISI COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions page.

How much does study abroad insurance cost?

The study abroad insurance costs $300 for a semester, $200 for the summer, and $50 for January term.  If you're studying abroad at the LVC, JFRC, an exchange, or an affiliate program, the charge will appear on your Loyola Bursar account.  If you're studying abroad on a faculty-led program, the study abroad insurance cost is usually included in your faculty-led program fee.

What do I do after I receive my insurance card?

Print out the insurance card and carry it with you at all times.  Also, save a copy of the insurance card file on your phone. 

Login to your myCISI portal, where you can access important insurance documents and CISI's emergency contact information as well as purchase optional trip interruption coverage.  Click here for the myCISI Participant Portal Guide and the myCISI Traveler App Guide once you're enrolled in the insurance policy.

How do I use the insurance? 

Notify your on-site program staff if possible so they can help assist you.  Call CISI to open a case.  If calling from overseas, the 24-hour number to use is 01-312-935-1703 (collect calls accepted). Calls from the U.S. should go to the 24-hour number at 855-327-1411.

Remember that your ID number is the Loyola policy number GLM N04849590 and anyone can open a case for you, including parents, other family, or friends.  Make sure to present your CISI ID card at any medical facility that you go to so they know that you have the plan.  The CISI Claim Form explains how you can submit a claim.

Contact the Office of International Programs as soon as you are able, so we can help monitor your situation and assist.