Study Abroad for Loyola Employees
USAC Faculty and Staff International Development Awards
Are you a Loyola employee interested in studying abroad yourself? The Loyola Office of International Programs and its consortium, the University Studies Abroad Consortium (USAC), invite faculty and professional staff members who wish to participate in USAC-sponsored study abroad programs to apply for a Summer 2019 Faculty and Staff International Development Award (FIDA). This program is geared towards faculty and staff with limited prior international experience. Preference will be given to applicants with regular direct contact to students. The goal of this program is to increase awareness of study abroad, familiarity with USAC, and to thereby help the home campus internationalize.
Application Deadline: Monday, 12/03/2018
ExpectationsFIDA recipients will participate in the program they are accepted for like a regular student and are expected to attend class, complete homework and assignments, and fully participate in all aspects of the program. It is recommended to either learn/refresh knowledge of the local language before arrival (on home campus, online, etc.) or to take USAC classes taught in English unless the FIDA recipient is ready for the fast-paced, intensive language study resulting from condensing a 3-credit course into a few weeks (in most cases). Note that all classes listed in USAC materials are subject to student interest and enrollment and USAC cannot guarantee that a particular class will be offered.
- Administrative (professional) and academic (must be full-time assistant, associate or full professors) faculty may apply. Applicants must have the approval of their supervisor/Dean.
- You will participate as a student for one summer session in order to gain an understanding of the full USAC/Loyola Study Abroad experience including the curriculum, integration opportunities, faculty, housing and field trips.
- Only the summer sessions listed in this application are open to FIDA applicants.
- Grant: tuition waiver and field trips included in the program plus up to $2,500 to be used for airfare, etc. Housing, insurance, optional tours, additional course costs, or travel expenses are not included in the waiver, but the grant can be used towards them.
- Preference is given to applicants with limited international experience and limited first-hand knowledge of USAC, as well as those working directly with students.
- Applicants must be returning on contract to Loyola in 2019-20.
- NOTE: You may bring companions (your partner/spouse/significant other and/or dependents) with you, but will need to be able to participate in all classes and program activities (this may mean, for example, making childcare arrangements in a foreign country). These companions may participate in some USAC activities as well, and attend USAC classes for a reduced fee. Contact Sabrina Harris at the USAC Central Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you would like more information on the companion policy.
- Complete the FIDA Application 2019 (Word .docx will download).
- Please submit a statement of no more than 2 pages regarding your reasons for interest in the program site that you have selected, your current international experience, your professional goals and your plans to implement these activities to enhance the number of Loyola students who study abroad.
- Email your application by 12/03/18 to Brian Johnson, PhD, Loyola Associate Director for Study Abroad.
For more information about the FIDA, contact: