Skip to content


In order to study abroad, you must meet Loyola's general eligibility requirements as well as any additional requirements specific to your selected program.  

General Study Abroad Eligibility

To be generally eligible to study abroad, you must

  • be a currently enrolled Loyola student*†, 
  • ​be 18 years of age (at the time of application), 
  • be in good academic standing†, 
  • have zero incomplete grades in LOCUS,
  • have an Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR) record with zero incomplete Sanctions and/or Assigned Outcomes,
  • have an OSCCR record with fewer than 3 combined Category C and/or B infractions**,
  • be in good financial standing with the University,
  • be clear of all holds in LOCUS (on the first day of registration for the term you plan to be abroad),
  • submit a complete study abroad application prior to the deadline published on your specific program's page at this website, AND
  • be sufficiently mature, resilient, and collegial to likely succeed on a study abroad program.

GPA Requirements

The minimum GPA required to study abroad varies by the program to which you apply.  Minimum GPA for most programs varies somewhere between approximately 2.5 and 3.0.  For the most up-to-date information, check with your program of interest or your study abroad advisor.  Have you found a program for which your GPA is close, but below the minimum?  You may be eligible for a special academic review, please contact your study abroad advisor for more details.  

Other Program-Specific Requirements

Many programs have additional eligibility requirements, minimum class standing or faculty leader approval.  For program-specific requirements, check the webpage for your specific program at this website.   

First-Year Students

You can study abroad as a first-year student at Loyola on some of our faculty-led programs.  Please contact OIP for details on which of our faculty-led programs are open to first-year programs.  For all other programs, you'll generally need to be at least a second-year during your study abroad term.

Non-Loyola (Visiting) Students

*If you aren't a degree-seeking student at Loyola, you can study abroad at our study abroad centers and on some of our faculty-led programs.  To apply as a visiting student to our Vietnam Center, go to the Vietnam Center application page, click the "Apply Now" button, follow the prompts to login as a visiting student, then complete the application.  To apply as a visiting student to a faculty-led program, go to the faculty-led program's application page, click the "Apply Now" button, follow the prompts to login as a visiting student, then complete the application.  To apply as a visiting student to our Rome Center, follow the instructions at the Rome Center's Visiting Student Application page.  

OSCCR Records and Study Abroad

**If your OSCCR record has 3 or more combined Category C and/or B infractions, you are not ordinarily eligible to study abroad.  You may, however, still apply to study abroad and undergo a special review of your conduct record.  Complete your LUC study abroad application and OIP will contact you if you need to take additional action for special review such as meeting with OIP personnel. Students whose OSCCR records show additional violations after OIP approval/acceptance, but before the commencement of study abroad, may have their approval/acceptance to study abroad revoked. (Please see the OSCCR Community Standards for more information on categories of violations and assigned outcomes/sanctions.) 

Limit to Study Abroad Terms

There is no limit to the number terms you may apply to study abroad at the LUC study abroad centers, faculty-led programs, and exchanges.  For all other study abroad programs you are limited to a total of two terms (fall + spring + January term + summer). 

Transfer Students

Students transferring to Loyola from another college or university must complete at least one semester at Loyola before they are eligible to study abroad.  If you are a transfer student, you may apply during your first semester attending Loyola to actually study abroad during your second semester. 

COVID-19 Adverse Impacts

†If the COVID-19 pandemic has adversely impacted your ability to maintain current enrollment and/or good academic standing status at Loyola, your eligibility for study abroad can be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.  If you're planning a gap semester or year from college during Fall 2020/Spring 2021, your gap from college will not automatically disqualify you from future study abroad (as long as you meet all of the other study abroad eligibility requirements listed above).  We encourage you to start an application and email or your study abroad advisor with information about your situation.