There are a variety of scholarship competitions open to study abroad students. Check out the list below for some places to start your scholarship search.
- Boren Awards: for undergraduates to study less commonly taught languages in world regions critical to U.S. interests
- Building International Bridges Awards: for College of Arts and Sciences majors
- Gilman International Scholarship: for Pell-eligible students studying abroad on a summer, semester or full year program
- John Felice Rome Center Scholarships: for study at the JFRC
- Loyola Vietnam Center Scholarships: for study at the LVC
- Ricci Scholars: for fall semester at Loyola's John Felice Rome Center, then the spring semester the Loyola Vietnam Center to conduct cross-cultural research.
OIP-Administered ScholarshipsAPI and USAC Scholarships: for Loyola students studying on API or USAC programs approved by Loyola. You'll apply for these scholarships on the Loyola Study Abroad site, click here for the API Scholarship Application. This scholarship competition for USAC programs is currently on hiatus due to the pandemic. For any questions about these scholarships, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
External ScholarshipsOrganizations outside of Loyola also administer scholarships that may fund your study abroad! Visit each website below for deadlines, eligibility, and application instructions. If you have questions, contact the scholarship granting organization directly.
- AASAP/UK Lord Action Memorial Scholarship is for study abroad in London.
- Academic Programs International is for API programs.
- Ashley Soule Conroy Foundation Scholarship: for semester and academic year programs
- Bridging Scholarships: for study abroad in Japan
- BUTEX Scholarship: for program at a BUTEX full-member in the UK
- Corinne Jeannine Shillings Foundation Scholarships: for Silver and Gold-level Girl Scouts' study abroad
- Critical Languages Scholarship: for study of less commonly-taught languages
- DAAD Awards: for programs in Germany
- Explore the World Travel Scholarship: for Pell-eligible students studying abroad
- Freeman-ASIA: for programs in East and Southeast Asia
- Fund for Education Abroad: for programs of 4-weeks or longer + dedicated scholarships available
- Generation Study Abroad New Zealand Excellence and Travel Awards: for direct-enroll programs in New Zealand
- Go Overseas Scholarships: wide range of opportunities both country and program type specific
- Institute for the International Education of Students: for IES Abroad programs
- ItaliaRail: for study at the JFRC
- iVisa Scholarship: for expenses before and during study abroad
- Japan-American Society (JASWDC) Tanaka & Green Scholarship: for programs in Japan
- Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) Student Exchange Program: for programs in Japan - must be nominated through host university
- St. Louis University Madrid Center
- School for International Training: for SIT programs
- Tortuga Backpacks Study Abroad Scholarship
- University Studies Abroad Consortium: for USAC programs
Identity-Based External Scholarships
- APIQWTC Scholarship supports queer Asian and Pacific Islander women and transgender people in their pursuit of technical/professional training or higher education.
- Colin Higgins Foundation awards individual grants to Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Two Spirit, Queer and Questioning youth activists who have transformed their experiences with bigotry and discrimination into opportunities to inspire others.
- Davis-Putter Scholarship aids people active in movements for social and economic justice.
- Diversity Abroad administers scholarships as well as offers a scholarships search engine.
- Fund for Education Abroad gives preference to students with demonstrated financial need, and strongly encourages students to apply who represent a group that is traditionally underrepresented.
- Gamma Nu Scholarships Program provides support to gay men who want to further their education at a college, university, or vocational or professional training program.
- Hispanic Scholarship Fund awards scholarships and provides programs and support services for students.
- Hostelling International created the Explore the World Travel Scholarship for applicants with demonstrated financial need.
- Inclusive Ireland Scholarship is for BIPOC students studying at select programs in Ireland.
- Japan Monbukagakusho Scholarship assists students interested in studying at Japanese universities.
- League Foundation LGBTQ Scholarships are open to self-identified Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer <Questioning>, + students.
- LIVE OUT LOUD Young Trailblazers Scholarship was created to provide financial support to LGBTQ+ identifying youth with financial need who are pursuing a college degree.
- NAFSA Rainbow SIG Scholarship awards deserving lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer (LGBTQ+) students who aim to participate in high-quality, rigorous education abroad programs.
- Order Sons of Italy in America Scholarships are for U.S. citizens of Italian descent (at least one Italian or Italian-American grandparent).
- POINT Foundation awards monies with the National LGBTQ Scholarship Fund.
- R. Harper Brown Scholarship is for study abroad in Scotland and gives preference to members of CHICAGO SCOTS, their children and grandchildren.
- Shillings Foundation supports undergraduate college/university Silver or Gold Award Girl Scouts who plan to study abroad, irrespective of major/minor.
- Stonewall Foundation has scholarships that provide unique opportunities and access to education.
- Turkish Coalition of America provides up to 100 scholarships per year for students of the following backgrounds: African American, Armenian American, Bosnian American, Filipino American, Hispanic American, Macedonian American, or Native American.